Friday 11 June 2010

The Dublin Writers Festival 2010

If you know me already, chances are we met after I volunteered at some event you are connected to somehow. That is pretty much what I do these days (tomorrow marking 15 months of unemployment) and, I'm happy to report, the experience is always unique and very rewarding. I could not recommend it enough.
The latest in my agenda was the Dublin Writers Festival that took place last week.
The best thing about being on Twitter is how people can echo your cry for help in real time so, if you have any last minute hiccups, it is very possible that someone out there can solve your problem straight away.
The Festival counts on a base of volunteers, mainly the same people every year but, sometimes, prior engagements lead to vacancies and opportunities for newcomers. And that is how I got involved with this Festival: @darraghdoyle tweeted the need for volunteers and I jumped right in.
The program was packed with writers, poets and singer-songwriters and I got to work four out of the six days it lasted (although you cannot really call it work since it is more like a treat... you get to meet wonderful people and have lots of fun along the way)
The highlights for me: meeting Ian McEwan and Steward Brand... and attending Neil Hannon's (*sigh)  intimate interview with John Kelly (...and we got the coolest t-shirt!!! ;))
Definitely, signing up for next year... if they'll have me!!

No comments: