Saturday 21 November 2009

Day 21 of MOvember. Rain ...and a guy with a round, pink, fluffy bag hanging from his neck

Yeap. It's crazy weather out there so I thought it was about time to write another post.
I got a new FB message from LIVESTRONG UK this morning and, as I went to write a 'thank you' note on Nick's page, I realized I had not really mentioned him on my previous post about the LIVESTRONG Global Cancer Summit in Dublin.
The main reason why I didn't has to be that I didn't meet Nick O'Hara Smith at the Summit. Of course, I noticed him, though... Who wouldn't? This guy was carrying an enormous, round-shaped, pink bag across his shoulder... WTH for? (I wondered)
Then, I got to read the black lettering message at the front of it: The Testicular Cancer Tour 2009. (Got you!) OK... so that bag was a giant testicle... Hmmmm. Odd people come in all sorts and sizes, I thought, but I was definitely intrigued and amused to see this guy walking around amongst all those other delegates, including Middle-East princesses, wearing a more 'formal' attire, to say the least.
Luck had me staying at the conference long enough to get my explanation: Nick's story was chosen to be told on stage (and, eventually, it was the overall winner)
Nick lost his testicles to cancer but, as if that wasn't bad enough, he didn't get hormone replacement treatment for a few weeks after that. Testosterone Deficiency is a very serious condition that can lead to muscles weakness, osteoporosis and severe depression. In Nick's case, after a few medical blunders that shouldn't have happened, his depression and moods swings almost cost him his life, literally. Nick tried to commit suicide but, fortunately for all of us who met him since, he failed.
Ever since, Nick is committed to spread the word on Testosterone Deficiency, the importance of Hormone Replacement Treatment and raise awareness on all types of Cancer, with Testicular-Cancer-symbol giant, pink, fluffy bag as his 'in your face' banner.
So if, in your travels,  you come across and odd looking fellow carrying such a prop around his neck, don't call the Police... call your loved ones, instead, and ask them when was the last time they had a medical check-up... and don't forget to thank Nick for his awesome, selfless work.
To read Nick's awesome story told in his own words, click here or go to http://www.voicesofsurvivors.com/ where you can find his and many other's  amazing stories in different documentary formats.
...and don't forget to visit his Movember page https://www.movember.com/uk/donate/your-details/member_id/156117/ for donations. He's growing a great MO just to save your, or your loved ones, life

3 comments:

Annemieke said...

Hi Chari,

I joined his group on FB and, like you, was touced by his story! I think it is pretty coureagous to carry that bag with him everywhere he goes. Shows once again there are a lot of brave people fighting this fight and another reason to do so as well, on a much smaller level. Good luck on your Movember activities, big hug Annemieke

Debbie said...

Great post about a man doing daring and great things! I read his story on VoS and was inspired. Thanks for taking the time to spread his message!
Love, Deb

Anonymous said...

Very inspirational man - thanks for spreading the word Chari